Friday, February 18, 2011

Flowers in the Wind

I just finished a quilt I am calling "Flowers in the Wind". It is unique in several ways. First, it is one of those rare quilts that I personally pieced. (That will explain its simple design). Second, it is made up of simple 8" blocks, some of which were cut in half diagonally.


You see, every month our local quillting guild (Boise Basin Quilters) does a fabric exchange. You probably know how this process works. A color or print style is announced (i.e. "tone on tone green", or "batiks") and everyone interested in participating signs up. Once you are told how many other people signed up you buy 3 fabrics in the chosen style and cut them into 8" squares. At the next meeting you place your sets of three squares into bags with each persons name on it.


Well, I have been participating faithfully every month since November 2009. My stack of squares has become quite impressive, but it dawned on me that I needed to do something with them or it made no sense to continue collecting them. So, this quilt is the result of using about 1/4 of the blocks.


As you can see the quilting itself is pretty clean and simple. The flowers were made using the Gammill Design Center tool. (It's like a large 34 pound spyrograph that makes 18,360 different designs) The grass bending in the wind was made by using some of my curved acrylic templates.


The back is flannel and really shows off the quilting stitches. It will make a cozy lap quilt for someone. I showed it last night at the guild meeting and I think they liked it. I hope you like it too...

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I will have to copy you...my stack of exchange blocks is getting out of control. I love those styrography type flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. Maze. Ing. It's like I don't even know who you ARE?! Just once I wanna see you in action at a quilting meeting. Can you post a video clip sometime? Kthanksbye

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES--YES--we need a video. Tell Kimi to get on it!! I love the change in thread color--white to highlight the flowers, not white on the grass--and no contrasting thread on the back. Very clean and professional. And you pieced that together yourself? You've got skills--mad skills.

    ReplyDelete